My wife, one tough lady

It's been an eventful time in the Anderson household in the last couple of weeks, but not a time we want to go through again anytime soon.

It has especially been a tough last couple of weeks for my better half, Teresa. Last week she went through a pretty serious surgery. On Tuesday, she was involved a very serious automobile accident.

She had to be taken by ambulance to the Medical Center of the Rockies trauma ward in Loveland, Colo.

For those who know my wife, you know what she has been going through health-wise the last few years. Teresa is a fighter and battles each and every day with pain I can't even begin to describe, nor would anybody truly understand.

A long-time nurse herself, Teresa has spent much of her adult life trying to make others feel better. She's also spent a lot of time in the hospital this year as a patient at Ivinson Memorial, Poudre Valley Hospital and now at the Medical Center of the Rockies. Nurses share a common bond, which has been the case in each of these facilities.

The emergency room nurses who helped with the transition at MCR Tuesday night did a great job of making sure Teresa was as comfortable as possible. They also visited with her, with the talk centering around Teresa and her work at the Cathedral Home for Children, what she has had to deal with with her chronic illness and her recent surgery and accident.

Wednesday afternoon, one of those nurses came up to her ICU room to see how she was doing. They had a nice, brief conversation as the hustle and bustle of the hospital didn't allow them a lengthy talk.

The MCR nurse ended the visit by squeezing Teresa's hand and telling her: "I can't tell you enough how much I admire you."

Teresa was a bit stunned, as was I. We both began to tear up a bit.

As I was driving back to Laramie later that day, I began to think about that conversation. My initial thought went back to that nurse, whose name I don't even know, nor do I think Teresa remembers. I admit, it struck me initially as a little odd that a basic stranger would say what she said.

Then I realized something that I already knew. It was not odd at all; my wife has a way of leaving those impressions on people.

How can you not admire Teresa? Even though her body is physically breaking down, I only wish I was half as strong as she is.

She is truly my better half.

P.S. -- Teresa, Our neurotic dogs (Sam and Otis) and possessed kitten (Fezzywig) are going bonkers here at home without you. Hence, they are driving us that way as well.

So get well soon, sweetheart, so you can straighten them out.

P.P.S. -- Cowgirl basketball season is upon us and they need their biggest fan back rooting for them, even if it means some of those sitting around you have to get up and leave because of all of the loud cheering.

P.P.P.S. -- In case you didn't know, Teresa (Poindexter) Clift Anderson lettered for the Cowgirls from 1985-87.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Sam & Me