Say it ain't So-Sa Sammy

You get to the point these days that nothing really surprises you. Reports have Sammy Sosa as one of the 104 Major Leaguers who failed drug tests in 2003.

No shock here. Maybe the surprise was it took this long to come out. In retrospect, the magical 1998 season in which Sosa and Mark McGwire were battling for the single-season home title (at the time) could officially be called a sham. We, as fans, should have really known better.

Oh yeah, the all-time single season home run record is held by Barry Bonds, who is under heavy, heavy, heavy, heavy suspicion of cheating himself.

That's Duh with a capital D.

What are we up to now, 102 left on the list? And this is not counting Manny Ramirez. Or is it? I can't remember (nor do I really care).

I guess it has been about four months since the naming of Alex Rodriguez, so Sammy, you were do.

In 2005, Sammy testified to Congress that he had never taken a banned substance. No one really believed him, I would suspect, and those who doubted him then are having a "I told you so" moment. Pat yourself on the back.

I guess we should probably take Sammy's word for it. After all, you are innocent until proven guilty. Like that is going to happen.

Sammy said a couple of weeks ago that he would soon make an official retirement announcement, which he actually did in the press release for the retirement announcement.

"I will calmly wait for my induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame. Don't I have the numbers to be inducted?" Sosa said.

Not any more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Sam & Me