Nothing but a fantasy

I've been told a time or two that I live in a fantasy world. It doesn't really bother me. I kind of like it.

Of course, I'm talking about fantasy sports. What did you think I was talking about?

Fantasy football is winding down, as is the NFL season. For the first time, I played in three fantasy leagues this year. I guess I had a pretty good season overall. I won one league on ESPN, beating Packers' buddy Bob Beck in the title game. It's a free league, so there is no prize money. All I won was a picture of a trophy online. If it was a real trophy, it would be huge.

League number two is one I have played for several years locally. Instead of getting into statistics, such as points for yards rushing, passing, etc., you pick a team and it is scored only from points scored in the game -- six points for a touchdown, one for an extra point, three for a field goal ... you get the drift. That's going pretty well, too, as I am currently in the title game with another bud, Tim Chesnut. There's actually some cash involved, so maybe if I win, I can buy my wife a Christmas present. Just kidding, I already got her some tube socks. I hope she's not reading this.

I did fall flat in my third league -- the Sportsline Live League on Yahoo. The funny thing was that after the season-opening draft, I thought this was my best team. I opened with two wins, but then lost seven or eight in a row. I think I did win my final two games, but was well off the pace to qualify for the playoffs. Oh well, I didn't try as hard in this league ... yeah, that's it.

I also get into fantasy baseball. To me, fantasy baseball is a little more of a thinking man's game, just like the sport. I finished second last season in a Yahoo league with total strangers. It's probably better that way, considering the name of my team is Children of the Corn. Don't ask me how I got that name. I might have dreamt it (but that is another day, another blog).

The idea of daily putting a lineup out on the field, trying to find the right pitching staff gives me goosebumps. You know, I don't think I have ever written goosebumps before in my entire career. I hope I spelled it right.

I've never tried NBA or NHL fantasy leagues, mainly because I don't follow them enough. Besides, I need a couple of months break between the NFL and MLB seasons. You know, like the athletes themselves.

Yeah, that's it, just like the athletes. Well, one can still fantasize ...

I'm still talking about baseball and football. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?