I should have had a V-8

Saturday's game at Tennessee proved to be one of the hindsight games for fans. Looking back, you're thinking, "Why didn't I just buy some plane tickets and make the trip?"

The voice of reason in your head told you, "It's going to be a blowout, don't do it. Save your money."

Now you're thinking, "Shut up, voice of reason. I hate you. Never again."

But that comes with the territory of not making a long trip because of common sense, and the game not only turns out to be a dandy, but a win for the Cowboys. There were an estimated 700 Cowboy fans at Neyland Stadium on Saturday who are glad they didn't listen to the voice of reason. By the end of the game, they might have been the only fans in the stadium.

For many, it was just an opportunity to make a trip to one of the most prestigious college football programs and stadiums in the country. In the last few years, Wyoming has played at Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Ohio State. If you have the time and the finances to do so, by all means, make the trip.

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to go to Gainseville, Fla., to watch the Wyoming-Florida game. Fortunately, my employer at the time financed the trip, but it was an experience I'll never forget.

Just witnessing the pre-game, game and post-game atmosphere was stunning. You'll never see tailgating like you will see at schools such as Florida.

I've been asked a few times already what I make of Wyoming's win on Saturday? I've already heard and read a few yeah-butts from people. Sure, the Vols are emotionally down after the announcement of the departure of long-time head coach Phil Fulmer at the end of the season. And sure, Tennessee has struggled this season on offense. I've also heard, "The Cowboys should have scored more points and not been as conservative on offense," or "The defense gave them the two scores with the pass interceptions."

My response? So what. I'll borrow a famous quote from Kansas City head coach Herm Edwards when he was with the Jets. "You play to win the game!"

The Cowboys did what they had to do to beat Tennessee on Saturday.

My advice is for those still somewhat pessimistic Cowboys fans to chill out for a while. Enjoy the win and worry about the future when it comes. This is not rocket science or life or death. It's college football, so enjoy it while you can.

And if you really want to make a road trip, go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Sam & Me