Deciding the future

I can see the message boards lighting up now after Clemson fired head coach Tommy Bowden Monday morning.

The basis of those posts will likely include, "If Clemson can do it, why can't Wyoming?"

I can't help but go back to the old saying that I heard as a youngster and likely you have to, "If your friends jump off a bridge, does that mean you have to?"

Basically, if it is good for one school, will it work for another?

Wyoming Athletics Director Tom Burman went on record a couple of weeks ago saying that there would be no decision on Glenn's status until after the season. Of course, that was two weeks ago and the Cowboys have since been outscored 64-7.

A member of the Wyoming media, Wyoming Tribune-Eagle Sports Editor Robert Gagliardi said in a column in Sunday's edition that it was time for Glenn to go ... at least by the end of the season. That's Gagliardi's opinion and he is more than entitled to his opinion.

I won't pretend to know what Burman is thinking, and in my opinion, it is not up to me to tell Burman what to think. I would hope that Burman, whether he decides to make a change -- sooner or later -- it is because he feels it is best for the Wyoming football program, and not because of what the media thinks or of what the message boards say.

Clemson, which was thought to be the ACC favorite this season and a national contender, has struggled as well this season and is "only" 3-3, losing to Wake Forest last Thursday.

It is interesting to see the player reaction, at least publicly, on Bowden's firing and Glenn's job status. You can take what you want out of quotes, but there is a stark difference, just from the quarterback position.

Clemson quarterback Cullen Harper, who was benched after the Tigers' loss to Wake Forest and replaced by highly regarded sophomore Willy Korn, said Bowden needed to be let go.

"It's what he deserved," Harper said.

Harper also said that Bowden "tried to motivate us, but guys were off the bandwagon. There were things I disagreed with and that my teammates disagreed with. I didn't appreciate it when he would say some off-the-wall things about me to the media. I guess one thing I can say is he gave me an opportunity to come to Clemson and play."

When asked Saturday after the loss to Utah if this run of poor play was wearing on Glenn and his job status, starting quarterback Karsten Sween, who was benched as well, had a different take and attitude on his head coach.

Wouldn’t you get wore down? It’s his job on the line,” Sween said. “He loves us. This guy brought me out here and he gave me a college education. I love Coach Glenn and the whole staff. They want to win just as bad as we do. We’re trying, but we keep killing ourselves turning the ball over. It wears on you but there is no one who knows how to handle adversity more than Coach Glenn. He’s going to keep us trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how far off it might be. It’s tough on everyone, but we’re going to keep pushing.”

Knowing Glenn and his love for the Wyoming program, he'll keep pushing and keep smiling. It's in his nature.

The Cowboys are on their bye week and have five games to turn it around. Will Glenn be around for his seventh season next year? Time will tell.

It is obvious that things are not where they should be, regardless of why. Will a coaching change help? Will it hurt? If things don't change, I'd have to say a change will be needed.

I'm going to trust that Burman and UW President Tom Buchanan will make the right decision. They have a lot on their plate to think about. It's on them to decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?