Worst football weekend ever?

Was last weekend the worst weekend ever? Maybe not, but it seemed like it. It would have been if not for the Cowboy basketball alumni event.

Let's clarify that. Worst football weekend ever.

On Friday night, the Plainsmen get hammered by Scottsbluff, Neb., 23-0. Head coach Bob Knapton summed it up in one word: horrible.

I think disappointing is also an accurate word to describe the game. Laramie came into the game feeling pretty good, coming off the 24-16 win over Casper Kelly Walsh, doing all the things that Knapton had been waiting for his team to do: run, block, score, tackle.

They did none of that against the Bearcats. "We couldn't block nobody, we couldn't tackle nobody," Knapton said after the game.

The Plainsmen will return to South 5A play this week at Evanston. It will be a "something has to give game," as the Red Devils are 1-3 overall and 0-3 in league play. The Plainsmen are 1-4 and 0-1.

Then, there is Saturday's Wyoming-Bowling Green game. How about 45-16. Ouch and yikes put together spell Ouchyikes. Sorry, it's Monday.

The Wyoming four-quarterback rotation was meant to find a signal caller who could get the job done without turning over the football. Obviously, it didn't help. Ian Hetrick was the only one who didn't turn the ball over, but he threw just two passes and still didn't move the football.

Everything I have talked about -- here and on Sportsline Live -- that the Cowboys need to do or not do, has remained the same. I guess the only solution is to no talk about it. So, the "t" word is not allowed from this point on.

I've got a feeling it will still come up, though.

So, now we're at Sunday. It's a beautiful day, the sun came up and the Packers are on TV. Tampa Bay won, 30-21, and Aaron Rodgers might have a separated shoulder. Ouchyikes again. To make things worse, that Brett Faaavraaa guy threw six touchdown passes on a bum ankle. Now, don't get me wrong, I still love Favre. But I don't need him showing up the Packers. I just want him to have an average season, win six games and then call it quits for good. Then I want Rodgers to have a great season and the Packers go to the Super Bowl. That's all I ask.

I guess Sunday wasn't all bad, as the Twins won and still have a chance to make the playoffs. I'm going to forget football for a couple days and concentrate on baseball. Go Twins, go Tigers (beat the White Sox). If not, then on Tuesday, go Twins, beat the White Sox.

I just hope I'm not setting myself up to be bummed out on Wednesday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?