I didn't get a harrumph outta that guy

Let's be honest. How many of you saw the Cowboys coming back to beat North Dakota State after their rather dismal, uninspiring performance in the first half?

Go ahead, raise your hand. That's what I thought. We'll, join the club. I had Wyoming all but dead, not only in the game, but likely for the season.

Saturday’s game was a pivotal contest for Wyoming. After the 23-3 drubbing it took from Air Force last week, the Cowboys needed a feel-good performance. From the Air Force game to Saturday’s kickoff, you could put most of the Wyoming disbelieving fans and maybe others in a room and it would be a pessimist-fest. You know, kind of like the Democratic National Convention.

If you saw the Mel Brooks’ movie, Blazing Saddles, there was a scene where Brooks, the territory’s governor (in the Old West) had all of his staff gathered around a table. Not happy, the grumpy Brooks said, “I didn’t get a harrumph outta that guy,” pointing to a staff member in the corner. The rest of the staff made the man say harrumph.

OK, sorry about the DNC dig and you probably have to see the movie (a classic) to fully understand what I am saying, but that’s pretty close to how I felt at going up to the press box at halftime. That was definitely how it appeared in the press box.

So what do the Cowboys do in the second half? They looked pretty good and eventually won 16-13 on a last-second field goal by Jake Scott.

I’m not sure what was more prevalent: Joy or relief. At least Wyoming won the game and is 2-1 on the season, instead of 1-2.

Of course, some of the media are still looking around at each other and saying, “I didn’t get a harrumph outta that guy.” The message-board geeks (nothing personal, but come on, get a life) were quick to give their expertise opinions. Most of it went like this: “Yes, we won, we’re glad. But we’re still not happy. Joe Glenn, your job is spared for at least one more week. But just remember Joe, we’ll decide your fate because we have the power.”

Oh yeah, did I say I have some prime farm land near Sinclair to sell you? If interested, just give me a ring.

The Cowboys will now prepare for BYU and for us know-it-alls, we have already put a check by the loss column. It’s not if the Cowboys lose, but by how much. I’ve already read that BYU (so say some UW fans and some Cougar fans) will put 70 points on the board.

Yes, the odds are stacked against Wyoming. Yes, the Cowboys will have to play a near perfect game and have saome breaks go their way. BYU is good, really good.

I’ll try to be more positive this week leading up to the game. Now that I think about it, it’s been a pretty good last couple of days. The Cowboys won on Saturday and so did the Packers on Sunday (combined with the Bears and Vikings losing).

I can't help but have Joe Walsh’s song, “Life’s Been Good” running through my head.

“Can’t complain … but sometimes I still do.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?