Packers' scout at scrimmage

Leave it to a Green Bay Packers fan to spot somebody on the sidelines of the Wyoming football scrimmage in Packers' apparel. Actually, I originally thought he was a CSU coach (from a distance, mind you). UW's Aaron Voos quickly corrected me and told me he was in Packers garb.

So that increased my curiosity. Now, I had to ask ... and I did. He's Lenny McGill, a college scout for the Packers. Now living in Broomfield, Colo., Wyoming is one of his target schools in the area.

We talked a bit (of course, Brett Favre was the icebreaker) and then I went back to taking some pictures before I went up to the press box for the remote of Sportsline Live.

Being the Packers fan, I got to thinking about it and yes, I did remember his name, although not much in detail. So I looked him up in the internet. I found out that McGill played cornerback for the Packers in 1994-95 in the dime package. He was then traded to the Falcons and started for two years before finishing up his career with the Panthers.

Although his playing career was average, a 2002 story on him in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal said he caught the attention of the Packers brass for his ability to evaluate opposing wide receivers.

"As I was leaving, I saw Mike Holmgren," said McGill in the story. "And he told me to keep in touch. He said he'd like to create a spot for me someday and that there could be an opportunity for me in Green Bay once I finished playing football."

According to the Journal Sentinal, during his time in Green Bay, McGill impressed the Packer coaches whenever the defensive backs were asked to write reports on opposing wide receivers.
And although Holmgren was no longer with the organization, director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie kept in touch with McGill and offered him a chance to show his stuff after he retired following the 1998 season.

The story went on to say that Green Bay brought McGill in during the 1999 season and asked him to write reports and evaluate 40 different college players. The Packer brass liked what they saw so much they hired McGill as a college scout in February 2000.

After reading the article, I got to thinking: I forgot to ask him who he was looking at. I forgot to give him my business card. I also forgot to see if he would go on Sportsline Live.

Darn those Green and Gold glasses that I wear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Sam & Me