I'm getting warmed up

OK, I admit it. I'm starting to get into the Olympics.

I avoided the opening ceremonies, I watched bits and pieces of the weekend action. The problem was, I couldn't escape it, even if I wanted to. My wife and step-daughter have probably watched about 90 percent of the action so far.

Sunday night I was downstairs and I heard a bunch of hollering and then a roar. As it turned out, the U.S. 4X100 freestyle relay team had some from behind to win the gold.

So I watch a little more. Then some more. Monday night I caught the tail end of the men's gymnastics team event. One of the participants, Sasha Artemev, caught my eye. He should of; I did a story on him a few years ago when, as one of the top teenage gymnasts in the country, her was competing in the Regional meet at the UW Fieldhouse. I talked to Sasha and his father, who was a gymnasts for the Soviet team several years ago.

When Sasha, who was originally going to be an alternate of the team before Morgan Hamm dropped out, scored a very nice 15.350 on the pommel horse, it essentially gave the U.S. team the bronze medal. When you consider that the Americans weren't given much of a shot to medal after both Hamm brothers dropped out, it was pretty remarkable. Ironically, the two previous Americans didn't score well in the event, putting added pressure on Sasha. he came through.

As it turned out, my lackadaisical attitude about the Olympics nearly cost a moment I won't soon forget. It's not very often you can brag to family or a friend -- "Yeah, I talked to Sasha a few years ago. Did a story on him. Nice kid."

And he's an Olympic medalist to boot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Sam & Me