Why I am a Packers fan

I get asked now and again why I am a Green Bay Packers fan. I’m especially asked by those who know I am a Minnesota Twins fan. They assume that I like the Vikings as well.

That’s not the case. With this whole Brett Favre soap opera ongoing, I’ve been asked my opinion more than I care to talk about it, whether it is personally or on the air on Sportsline Live.

This might be the easiest way to explain things. Last fall, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel asked readers why they were Packers fan on their Web site. I couldn’t even begin to count how many responses were published. I’d day several hundred. Mine was one of them. So, instead of trying to explain it once again, I’ll just copy my response that was published.

Here it is:

“Although I grew up in the Black Hills of South Dakota and have lived in Wyoming for over 20 years, I've been a Packers fan since I was a young boy.

“My father was born and raised in Wisconsin and I still have family there. Although he wasn't a huge football fan, one thing that sticks out for me as a youngster was watching the Ice Bowl. We were all at a friend's house for a party and the game was on television. Although I was about 8 years old, I still vividly remember somebody asking my father who he was rooting for -- Dallas or Green Bay. His response was ‘The Packers, of course. I'm from Wisconsin.’ I've been hooked every since. In fact, when the opportunity to go snowmobiling on that day came up, I refused to go because the game was not over. Of course, any fan of NFL history knows how that game ended up.

“Living in Wyoming, I get razed at times about being a Packers fan. It was especially hard after the loss to the Broncos in the Super Bowl. The next day after the loss, I was standing in line at the Post Office and was wearing my Packers' coat. Somebody turned around and said to me, ‘I'd be ashamed to wear that today.’ My response was, ‘That's the difference between Packers fans and Broncos fans ... Packers fans are loyal to their team all of the time, not just when they win.’

“One thing I have always noticed about being a Packers fan, it's like a family. When walking through the mall or out in public anywhere, when a Packers fan notices another fan, there's usually a nod or a thumbs up given, even in Wyoming, South Dakota or Washington, where I lived for three years. The pride never goes away.

“Go Pack!!”

And that’s why I am a Packers fan. That is also why, when this whole Favre mess is over, I’ll be a Packers fan and I'll still love Favre. As far as I am concerned, you’re a Packers fan first and foremost. You root for or admire individual players second. At least, if you’re a true Packers fan.

No player, even Brett Favre, comes before the Packers.

And one more thing, Vikings and Bears suck!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?