Memories of San Bernardino

The Laramie Little League All-Stars will head for San Bernardino, Calif., on Wednesday for the annual Northwest Regional Little League Tournament at Al Houghton Stadium.

Soak it in boys.

Laramie teams competing at the regional tournament have been almost automatic, at least in the last few years. In fact, Laramie has qualified for the tournament (either Northwest or Western) more than any other program (15). The two tournaments run simultaneously at Al Houghton Stadium.

Of course, the main reason they go is to play baseball. The ultimate prize is a trip to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa. What the Laramie Little Leaguers will remember the most is the trip, the atmosphere. For many, it will be their first trip to Cali.

Along with at least four games, the youngsters will get to see the sights, like Disneyland, the Pacific Ocean and maybe a Dodgers or Angels game. They'll be at the stadium dormitory that all teams stay at. There's ping pong and a swimming pool. They'll get to mingle with other teams from across the West. One tradition throughout the years is pin trading. Wyoming pins always seem to be in high demand.

One unique situation at the dorms is that only players and coaches are allowed. They even have a line that others cannot cross -- with guards who will stop you. I know; I was stopped dead in my tracks when I spotted then coach Armando Casas in 2002 and was planning to go talk to him. Absolutely no one beyond a certain point except coaches and players are allowed ... even parents. Especially parents.

If you are a parent or just a fan, it will be a trip you won't soon forget. It's even memorable for the media. I was able to talk my then employers at the Boomerang -- maybe it was more like begging -- to go. I covered the team with game stories and other features.

Throughout my years as a journalist, I've covered two NCAA basketball tournaments -- men's and women's. I've covered pro sports, including Major League Baseball All-Star Game festivities in Seattle. I've been to large college football stadiums at the University of Florida and University of Washington, just to name a few.

My favorite trip, however, might just be covering the regional Little League Tournament in 2002. It was memorable in many ways, beginning with a rough start, but finishing with a bang.

First, my plane was delayed at DIA because of lightning. A pushed back flight meant I arrived at the Ontario Airport too late to pick up my rental car. I ended up getting a different car from a much more expensive outfit. I left the airport and drove the wrong way -- heading to Los Angeles instead of San Bernardino.

Once I figured that out and got on track, I made it to San Bernardino, only to drive right past my hotel (the Hilton, with huge blue lights at the top that spelled Hilton). I proceeded to drive almost through San Bernardino (in not exactly the nicest part of town). After asking several people for directions, I finally found the hotel at about 1 a.m. As it turned out, it was just off the interstate exit. It was an hour of my life that I will never get back.

It's morning now and after returning my expensive rental car to the Ontario Airport for my original and much more economic rental, I had to find Al Houghton Stadium. As it turned out, it was a few miles out of town, next to the mountains. And yes, I got a little lost again. But by the second or third day, I had my directions and big city driving down, and it was a breeze from that point on. The experience of the next few days, though, made my lack of direction forgettable.

One of the first things the Laramie Little Leaguers will do when they get to the stadium and dorms is just walk out on the field. It's a jaw dropper. Al Houghton Stadium holds about 12,000 or 13,000 people. When the two California teams meet, it is filled. What an awesome sight. This is a Little League stadium that is used only for the regional tournaments.

The Laramie teams have done well at times, with a third, two fourths and a fifth-place finish to its credit -- the best ever for a Wyoming team. That 2002 team included current Laramie Rangers Mike Garner, Coleton Wilson and Skyler Joy. The Wyoming All-Stars ended up losing all four round-robin games, which were all very close, including two one-run defeats. Other notable players were Cody Suder, Terrance Dent, Dusty Daniels, Galand Thaxton and Isaiah Martin.

The regional tournament officials put on quite a tournament -- for the fans, the players, the coaches and the media. When it is all said and done, it is still 11- and 12-year-olds playing a kids game.

And that's what makes it all worth while. Besides, you're never too old to be a kid again.

***
Longtime Laramie Little League coaches VerDon Hoopes and Casas moved up a level this season, coaching the Laramie Rangers Prep team (ages 13-14).

Hoopes, however, can't stay away from San Bernardino. He'll fly out Monday after coaching his Prep team this weekend at the Legion State B Tournament in Sheridan.

Hoopes has been a fixture in San Bernardino, even if he isn't coaching. He's been to California every year since 2000. He's also a cross-country traveler, as he'll make another trip to Williamsport to watch the Little League World Series.

Luckeeeeeeee!!!!

***
For great coverage of the tournament, see the San Bernardino Sun. Included in its coverage is a regional blog. To read more, click below:
http://www.insidesocal.com/little_league_08/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?