State of Denver sports

If you are a fan of Denver pro sports -- Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche and Broncos -- yikes.

First of all, I would qualify myself as a fan of some of those teams, although none are No. 1 on my personal list. At this time, the Rockies would be my No. 2 team in baseball (Twins No. 1). I'm not a big hockey fan mainly from the lack of exposure to the sport. But when I follow hockey, I root for the Avs. The Nuggets, well, let's put it this way ... if I were a big NBA fan and wanted to get behind a team, I'd love to get behind the Nuggets. But I'm not, so I can't. The Broncos ... let's just say I follow them because of the proximity, but it doesn't hurt my feelings when they lose. As a Packers fan, need I say more.

Now lets go back and revisit what is going on with these programs.

Rockies: I'll still maintain that they have a good, young and talented team. Unfortunately, after last year's late-season triumph, you could almost say that they are in a sophomore slump. They have the tools to win, but they just aren't doing the job. To make things worse, shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is out for at least through the all-star break with a complete tear of a tendon in his left quadriceps. Their young stud pitchers -- Franklin Morales, Ubaldo Jimenez and Manny Corpas -- are not performing well, while their all-star offensive lineup can't buy a hit in scoring position. The season is still young, but with the way the D-backs are playing, it could be over by the All-Star break.

Nuggets: One of the most talented starting lineups in basketball doesn't always mean success. The Nuggets won 50 games and flamed out badly in the first round against the Lakers. George Karl will be back as coach nest season he said some changes will be made in that he will take firmer control of the players and not let them do things their way. You can file that in the "Duh" folder. Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do at the beginning? Changes need to be made and that includes breaking up this starting lineup.

Avalanche: It's hard to be too harsh on the Avs considering their recent rash of injuries. The result was a tough opening round win over the Wild and a spanking by the hated rival Red Wings. I don't know if big changes need to be made for next season. Staying healthy is probably the key to this team.

Broncos: Don't freak out or anything, but looking at the team from a non-fan aspect, I think the biggest change might have to be made at the top. The Broncos appear to be fairly solid in most aspects, but they too are having problems putting it all together. Since their two Super Bowl wins, it has been a downhill tumble for the franchise. I'm not necessarily saying that Mike Shanahan is not a good coach. But it is hard to coach and basically run the show as executive vice president of football operations. Ask Mike Holmgren and Mike Sherman. Coaches should be coaches and GM's and front office personnel should stay off the field.

All in all, it's been a tough year (so far) for Denver sports fans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Do fired NFL coaches still get paid?