Baseball roundup (non Olympic venue)

While my wife and step-daughter continue to be glued to the television watching the Olympics, I asked them who won the beach rowing competition. Sorry, but I thought that was funny.

Myself, I'm not putting the Olympics down, but other than a little swimming, a little basketball and a little track and field, that's really all that I am interested in. I'm still a baseball guy and at this time of the year, that's what I am watching.

So on Sunday, I watched the Twins and Royals. I know, that's a real ratings grabber there.

On the local scene, it was a busy week and weekend. The Laramie Little League All-Stars finished third in the Northwest Regional Tournament in San Bernardino. Congratulations to coaches Ron Harding and Ty McWhorter and the boys. They did a great job of representing Laramie and the state of Wyoming.

In case you're wondering, Mill Creek Little League of Washington won the Northwest Regional title with a 10-1 thumping of Murrayhill Little league of Beaverton, Ore.

The Laramie Rangers also finished in third place Saturday at the Wyoming AA State American Legion tournament in Gillette. The Rangers finished with a 26-26 overall record in Sean McKinney's second season. That was a marked improvement from last year's 14-29 mark, and with all but one player returning for next season, they'll be a contender. To compete with Cheyenne Post 6 and Gillette, Laramie just needs to stay focused, stay together and play hard.

And speaking of the state tournament, there isn't too many times when Laramie fans will root for a Gillette team in any sport, but congratulations to the Roughriders for their first-ever state baseball title. The 12-0 win on Saturday ended Post 6's seven-year title run.

A little over a week ago I wrote about the Rapid City American Legion feud between Post 22 and Post 320. This was supposed to be Post 320's year to finally knock off perennial region power Post 22, as 320 had over 40 wins this season to a .500 22 team. As it turned out, Post 22 moved to 16-0 all-time in its matchups with Post 320 in the regional tournament (they don't play each other during the regular season). Both teams qualified for the state tournament and surprisingly, both were eliminated.

Somehow, I find it funny that neither team will win the South Dakota state title. The teams and their fans have spent so much this season on hating each other, they forgot to win.

There's one Rapid City team, however, that is a winner. The Canyon Lake Little League team won the Midwest Regional and will be making its first-ever trip to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa. They are the first South Dakota team to qualify for the national tournament.

Being a South Dakota and Black Hills native, I can say way to go Canyon Lake. I'll be watching and rooting for you at Willamsport.

I guess I should start watching some of the Olympics. I hear it is a pretty big event.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thanks for the memories

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Sam & Me