Thanks for the memories

As I put my watch up to my ear, I expect to hear click, click, click, as each second moves forward.

Kind of like my current days as a sportswriter ... click, click, click.

For some reason, though, the watch is silent as it continues time.

Again, kind of like my current days of operating Wyoming Sports.org.

Yikes, cliche' overload here.

The simple fact is my sports website is probably on its last leg. I say probably because in two weeks I will begin a new job as news copy editor/designer for the Wyoming Tribune Eagle in Cheyenne.

Not only will I not have the time to cover local sporting events in Laramie, I can see my new employers likely not wanting me to compete against the WTE's fine sports staff. It makes perfect sense and I totally understand.

When the position opened a while back, with my wife's blessing and encouragement, I decided to apply for the job. Friday night I was offered the position and I accepted.

I do admit it will be a little strange not being a sportswriter, something that I have done since my high school days. But it came down to having a full-time position again, something I haven't had since my departure from the Boomerang in October 2007. The WTE job is not in sports, but that's OK. I can adapt and I look forward to the challenge.

After that "departure" from the Boomerang, I did some freelance writing before starting Wyoming sports.org. I started the website for the simple fact that the freelance jobs had dried up a bit and I was still going to all of the local sporting contests. Why not still write about them?

Eventually, I was able to get the capabilities for advertising on Wyoming Sports.org with the intent of making a living off of what I love to do, being a sportswriter. The money aspect, however, just never picked up. I guess the timing wasn't right.

I was also to pick up a little time some part-time Associated Press work for home UW men's and women's basketball and a little airtime on local radio stations KOWB and KCGY as one of the hosts of Sportsline Live, as well as some part-time board work at the stations. That has been great and I truly thank David Settle for the opportunity for SLL. Depending on my days' off at the WTE, I hope to continue to be on SLL, as I will commute to Cheyenne for the time being.

With the recent rash of bad health of my wife, the need for a full-time job was critical, as Teresa is not able to work any longer. Hence, the looking for a job again in the newspaper business. I feel truly blessed that I have been able to find work again because I wouldn't wish being unemployed on anyone. I had worked full time since my college graduation in 1982, and under no circumstances, did I ever feel like I would be without a job. But it did happen. It's been a tough, tough last 2 1/2 years, to say the least.

I would expect to faze out parts of Wyoming Sports.org in the next couple of weeks. Will I drop it completely? I'm not sure yet. We'll see.

Regardless, I have enjoyed my little adventure in the online media business (other than not being paid). And here's a huge thank you to the University of Wyoming sports information department for keeping me credentialed and treating me like I still belonged. Thank you to my loyal readers in the last couple of years. Until I scaled things back a few months ago, the numbers were promising, so I knew that I had a little audience out there.

Oh yeah, make sure you read the Wyoming Tribune Eagle.

Comments

Dusty Joy said…
Rich,

Thanks for all of the great sports coverage for all those years. You spent long hours, day and night making sure our local hero's had a story. I appreciate your efforts and I wish you and Teresa the very best. Congrats on the new job!!

Dusty Joy
And I appreciate those kind words and all of your support throughout the years.
Savatage8 said…
Congrats Rich on your new job! Also, thank you for giving me the opportunity to write for Wyomingsports.org and teaching me how to be a sports writer, while having the much needed patience to do so ha ha. Give Teresa my regards, and if I don't see you at the games, then I'll have to buy you a beer sometime.

Take Care

Popular posts from this blog

Chargers sign Vinnedge, Betschart

Winter sports at LHS under way